Re: [std-proposals] std::elide

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2024 18:08:22 -0700
On Monday 3 June 2024 14:35:14 GMT-7 Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-
Proposals wrote:
> We need to devise some sort of way of preventing an "std::elide"
> object from becoming an argument to a constructor which has exactly

That's two steps removed from the beginning of the discussion. It's assuming
that there is a problem that needs solving and that the solution is
std::elide. You must first discuss what the problem is and discuss what
currently gets done where this problem occurs: how do people work around it?
Or how will solving it result in better / simpler code?

Then you need to discuss the different possible implementations of the solution
to the problem. You're talking about some core language changes: so why not
have keywords instead? Why did you reject that option in favour of a Standard
Library function? Can you provide a portable implementation of said function
(read: you can't resort to assembly or knowledge about the implementation)? If
you can't, why is this compiler-intrinsic implementation the best solution
among the many you've researched?

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Fleet Engineering and Quality