Re: [std-proposals] std::elide

From: Breno Guimarães <brenorg_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 12:22:59 -0300
> But as I have explained there cannot be a
“getMutexTheOtherTeamToldMeToUse()” because it is a std::mutex and it must
be initialized at the address provided by the caller.

Exactly! It doesn't work because the language doesn't allow it to work. If
the language allowed it to work, then it would work!
By your reasoning, this should also not work:

std::mutex getMutex() { return std::mutex(); }

But it does, because the language mandates to not copy and not move. The
language mandates that (using your words) *it must be initialized at the
address provided by the caller*.
Now, it would be beautiful if we could do:

std::mutex my_company::factory::getMutex() {
    return_and_execute std::mutex(), [] (auto& m) {
         logger.log("Created a mutex at %p", &m)
    }
}

That would allow me to do what the language already allows for, but also
give me the opportunity to execute code on top of that returned object.
Another option would be to mandate NRVO, then we could write:

std::mutex my_company::factory::getMutex() {
    [[nrvo]] std::mutex m;
    logger.log("Created a mutex at %p", &m);
    return m;
}

There are ways you can inject behavior after the object construction (like
creating a derived class) so there is no fundamental limitation.

Best Regards,
Breno G.