Re: [std-proposals] std::any::base

From: Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:06:26 +0000

> There are two possible papers to submit:
> (1) Add functionality to std::any to get a base class
> (2) Add functionality to std::any to get a base class without causing an ABI break

No, there's only 1 paper to submit. That one which explains the feature.
How do you do it? How does it not break ABI?
You put that on the paper, we don’t need a play by play of what you are doing.

As a side note. It's irrelevant, nobody is going to use it in practice, ever, and you know that. Microsoft doesn't need your reverse engineered assessment on how to make this work, they have the source code, they can just read it and implement it, better than you could, without your help.

> I mean how could they possibly know what frequencies my television is focusing on from the signal coming in from the coat hanger?

Phone surveys and statistical analysis, there are companies dedicated to doing that. There are ways to know even if you don't.
People who have done this long enough know what is important and what is not. And multiple people have told you, nobody cares, because they don't.
I agree with that assessment.

If you can do it, put it on the paper, this is not a dev board. I don't want to help you develop this feature, even if I did, the mailing list is not the place to do it.