Re: [std-proposals] Extend std::type_info with more information

From: Sebastian Wittmeier <wittmeier_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:36:07 +0200
So why not store the Derived* as Base* into the std::any in the first place? std::any myany = make_any<Base*>(&derived);   If you need the Derived* after all, you can always Derived* derivedptr = dynamic_cast<Derived*>(std::any_cast<Base*>(myany));   or use suitable member functions of Base.   -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von:Phil Endecott via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> Gesendet:Fr 12.04.2024 20:51 Betreff:Re: [std-proposals] Extend std::type_info with more information An:std-proposals_at_[hidden]; CC:Phil Endecott <std_proposals_list_at_[hidden]>; Mihail Mihaylov wrote: > It took me a while to realize how significant it is that `any_cast` > returns a copy instead of a reference. It now seems to me that the > designers of `std/boost::any` never meant for polymorphic types to be > stored in it and the question about how to get a base out of the stored > derived value goes outside of its intended usage. You can, however, usefully store pointers to polymorphic types in std::any. Storing a Derived* and asking the any if it contains a Base* is what I wanted to do. (Actually something more like a weak_ptr<Derived>, but maybe I shouldn't mention that, it's just adding another level of complexity into this discussion.) Regards, Phil.