[std-proposals] constexpr support in std::filesystem API

From: Andrei Grosu <andrei_dg_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:31:18 +0200
The proposal is simple: constexpr support for the filesystem API.

The need comes from writing a build system in (modern) C++.
If there is support for compile-time access to the filesystem , it would be , in my opinion, the key missing piece for a build system implemented in modern C++.
Without that you would have to depend on code generation , but with it , there is not much missing to build a fully featured build system in C++ itself.

Is this a question of compiler complexity , to enable constexpr filesystem access ? It is not clear to me if there are other factors at play.

Can anyone ‘in the know’ share some insights why it might or might not be feasable ?