Re: [std-proposals] std::elide

From: Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:06:34 +0000
On Sun, Mar 10, 2024 at 5:40 PM Jens Maurer wrote:

> > Okay you have me here: If we're going to add 'elide_t' to the
>> standard library then why not just add a method called
>> 'emplace_invoke' to optional, variant, any, vector, etc. -- which
>> would do away with the need for 'elide_t'.
>
> Yes.

I haven't decided yet whether 'std::elide' should be scrapped in
favour of 'std::optional::emplace_invoke', or even if the both of them
could possibly co-exist, but for the time being I've updated the paper
as follows:

    (1) The change to the core language is now in 'temp.deduct.general'
    (2) I removed 'apply_perfectly' because 'apply' works fine here
with an Rvalue tuple
    (3) I've beefed out the explanation of AwkwardClass's template constructor

Here it is:

    http://www.virjacode.com/papers/elide.htm

And also it's attached to this email.