Re: [std-proposals] std::elide

From: Jens Maurer <jens.maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 23:14:55 +0100
On 09/03/2024 22.13, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals wrote:
> Add a new function to the standard library to make possible the
> emplacement of an unmovable-and-uncopiable prvalue into types such as
> std::optional, std::variant, std::any -- without requiring an
> alteration to the definitions of these classes.
>
> http://www.virjacode.com/papers/elide.htm
>
> Also it's attached to this email.

Regarding the core language change: We generally don't special-case
library types in the core language, unless the library types are
needed for implementation of a core language feature (e.g.
std::initializer_list).

Also, the wording uses "shall", causing the situation to be ill-formed.

Also, I don't understand how template argument deduction should
work for the AwkwardClass constructor shown in the paper.
What's the value of the Args... template parameter type, and
how do the rules achieve that result?

Jens