Re: [std-proposals] std::typeid_except ( Paper Attached )

From: Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:37:33 +0000
The standard defines the existence of exceptions, not how exceptions are to be implemented, this feature would have a major impact on how they would need to be implemented.
In any case, even if the committee were to accept this by mistake, it wouldn't actually solve your problem.

Throwing exceptions across dll boundaries has been widely accepted as ill-formed, partly because there's no known form of RTTI that is capable of working correctly in all situation across such boundaries, but mostly because there's no consistency in terms of how exceptions are actually implemented, and adding a previously not required type_info as part of the meta data of the exception would be a clear example of a breakage in binary compatibility, completely blowing up your motivation.

If your goal is to trick inexperienced developers into creating vulnerabilities in applications to generate more out of bounds access opportunities, then by all means this and other previous proposals would do just that.