Re: [std-proposals] std::typeid_except ( Paper Attached )

From: Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:59:29 +0000
On Sun, Mar 3, 2024 at 1:59 AM Thiago Macieira wrote:

> First, the request is that you add the motivation to the paper,
> not reply by email.

Okay I've edited the paper so that it now has two more motivations:

    * Runtime plugins
    * As a stepping stone

I've changed the 'exception_ptr' parameter from pass-by-value to
pass-by-Lvalue-const-ref, and I've made mention of name mangling and
anonymous namespaces.

As I've alluded to in the paper, I'm deliberately keeping this paper
very basic and simple. All I'm asking for is that we can get
'type_info' from 'exception_ptr'. If I keep this paper very simple and
only ask for one thing, then it's more likely to get voted on and
accepted. After it has been accepted, further papers can be written to
take advantage of having the 'type_info' of unknown exceptions (e.g.
we can talk about getting the 'sizeof' from a 'type_info').

You can see the latest revision of the paper here:

    http://www.virjacode.com/papers/typeid_except.htm

and it's also attached to this email.