Re: [std-proposals] How to propose a feature?

From: Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 21:48:13 +0000
I’m 100% on board with it.
Would like to collaborate, please email me at cpp_at_[hidden]<mailto:cpp_at_[hidden]>

Best

I'm all up for collaborating on this. I've got too many proposals in flight already:)

Write to me on gasper.azman_at_[hidden]<mailto:gasper.azman_at_[hidden]> and we will go from there.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2024, 20:37 Lénárd Szolnoki <cpp_at_[hidden]<mailto:cpp_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 2024-02-12 at 22:14 +0200, Baruch Burstein via Std-Proposals
wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to suggest an addition to the core language. The idea is
> to allow using `using` to create function aliases, similar to type
> aliases. e.g.
>
> template <class T>
> int foo() { ... }
>
> using foo_int = foo<int>;
>
> My questions are as follows:
> 1. Has this been suggested/discussed before and already decided to
> not do it? If so, please point me to the reasoning.

I'm aware of one similar recent proposal, although with different
syntax:

https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2023/p2826r1.html

Personally I would prefer a `using` syntax.

> 2. Does anyone see an obvious reason this would not work / be a bad
> idea, and so no point in pursuing it?

I think it is a great idea. At least the other similar paper had good
feedback so far.

> 3. Assuming none of the above, what would be the procedure to suggest
> this? What are my chances of actually getting something into the core
> language?

Read up on
https://isocpp.org/std/standing-documents/sd-7-mailing-procedures-and-how-to-write-papers
if you want to submit a paper.

Consider collaborating with the author of the existing P2826 paper (I
CC'd him). In any case, you should read that proposal.

> Thank you

Cheers,
Lénárd