Re: [std-proposals] 128-bit integers

From: Nikolay Mihaylov <nmmm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 14:43:55 +0200
The correct form is std::to_string(std::size_t).
on 32 bit machines, it is uint32_t:
std::to_string(std::uint32_t)

std::to_string(std::int128_t) - this can not be done, because uint128_t
may happen to "hold" a number bigger than size_t.
such big number is not "addressable", e.g. you can not make an array with
more than size_t elements - this sounds strange, but on 32 bit machine, if
you do array of UINT32_MAX (not sure of correct definition in C),
then if the array is from 1 byte elements, it will "eat" all your memory.

same in apply for 64 bit machines - they can address up to UINT64_MAX bytes
of memory and such an array with just one byte elements will "eat" all its
memory.

-----

some other thoughts - I would love to be able to print 128 bit numbers on
the screen using standard ways (std::cout, printf etc) . also to do bit
operations faster

For example I have a class that converts a 8 characters string into a 64
bit number, then comparing it as numbers instead of memcmp() derivatives
like operator <=>.
Year ago I tried to do the same with gcc uint128_t and the result was
really slow.