Re: [std-proposals] 128-bit integers

From: Chris Gary <cgary512_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 19:38:05 -0700
I did a quick skim reading over the proposal, then searched for
"int_fast128_t" - nothing showed up, but I also moved the cursor to the end
of the page.
It looks as though they're addressed as well as they could be.

The way I use standard integers is as I described: If I want something as
close to native performance as possible, the "fast" types are appropriate,
etc... However, the lack of actual diagnostics here relegates determining
the cause of performance issues to not just profiling, but also directly
inspecting the code as well. In most cases, plain "intXXX_t" would work
just as well.

> They are required to be aliases in the C++ standard. How else would
> you provide them?

What I meant there was that they are aliases for the standard types, and
really not practically useful in their distinction despite the wording in
the standard.

For example, one might think int64_t is an alias for __int64 in the
Microsoft stdint.h, but its "typedef long long" instead. In that same
header, all of the "least" and "fast" variants are identical as well. I
thought the original idea behind stdint was to ensure aliases might
correspond to compiler intrinsics wherever this is more appropriate. There
seems to still be a problem assuming any given architecture has a single
unambiguous notion of "char", "long", "long long", etc... Sort of like
"long double" in a non-x87 context.

Really, my opining here was due more to my failure to notice a blinking
caret at the end of a webpage...