Re: [std-proposals] Simplify taking pointer to non-static member function

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:09:29 -0500
On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 1:44 PM ஜெய்கணேஷ் குமரன் via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 06-Feb-2024, at 23:40, Arthur O'Dwyer via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 12:56 PM Jason McKesson via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 12:08 PM ஜெய்கணேஷ் குமரன்
>> <jaiganesh.kumaran_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> >
>> > If you're in a context where `function` results in a non-static,
>> > non-overloaded member function, then `&function` will result in a
>> > pointer to that function.
>> >

>> > Unfortunately no, this does not work; you must qualify it with the class name.
>> >
>> > From cppreference:
>> > Expressions such as &(C::f) or &f inside C's member function do not form pointers to member functions.
>>
>> Well, the three major compilers disagree: https://gcc.godbolt.org/z/ddMbecv84
>> It could be bugs in all of them though. It's a pretty narrow corner case.
>

> Taking the address of a static member function is fine and gives you a pointer-to-function.
> The forbidden thing, which I think all compilers do correctly forbid, is when you take the address of a non-static member function to get a pointer-to-member-function:
> https://gcc.godbolt.org/z/7KhfdEPKW
>

>> > I want something like this:
>> > auto f = &class_name::function;
>> > class_name* p = f.this_ptr;
>>
>> That doesn't make any sense. Member pointers are not associated with
>> any particular instance. That's kind of the point.
>

> +1. This fundamental misunderstanding of what a "pointer to member" actually is, makes me think that the original feature request was mis-motivated too.
> (OP wants an easier way to extract pointers-to-member-functions... but at the same time, OP thinks "pointer-to-member-function" means something more like std::bind. So maybe OP is really looking for C++11 lambda syntax? He's certainly not looking for pointers-to-member-functions anymore.)
>

> No, I don't want something like bind; I just want the member-function-pointer-taking syntax to give me the this pointer as well so that it is cleaner to construct a wrapper if needed - otherwise you can throw it away by assigning into a regular member-function pointer variable, which is the same as what you get in a static context.
>
> mem_fn_wrapper(&class_name::function); // the wrapper should be able to extract both the function pointer and the this pointer of the current instance.

There is no "this pointer of the current instance" which any
hypothetical "mem_fn_wrapper" could possibly know about. The member
pointer, the expression `&class_name::function` does not know what
"this" is.

Yes, a *language* feature could do that, but it wouldn't be spelled
`&class_name::function`. You'd need some other syntax for that. Even
if that syntax is just some new kind of type, why would you burn
precious language syntax on something that you could do just as easily
as do with `mem_fn_wrapper(this, &class_name::function);`?

Remember: we're talking about querying information that you *already
have*. The "this pointer of the current instance" is clearly available
to whomever is writing `&class_name::function`. Besides your personal
convenience, what's the point here?