Re: [std-proposals] Bit permutations

From: Jan Schultke <janschultke_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:05:25 +0100
> It might help to give a few more examples for some of these functions, or even show their effect in diagram form.

That's a good idea. I'll include some form of visualization in the proposal.

> If these operations correspond to existing extensions (such as gcc or clang builtins), that would also be worth mentioning, as would corresponding assembly instructions or intrinsic names for x86-64 and ARM (32-bit or 64-bit).

To my knowledge, none of them are exposed as platform-agnostic
wrappers. Some of the operations directly correspond to a hardware
instruction. The mapping is explained in the Hardware Support section
of the proposal. I don't think that adding the intrinsic on top of
that adds any relevant information. Nevertheless, expanding the
introduction so that people get a better idea of these operations is
worthwhile.

Thanks for the feedback
Jan