Re: [std-proposals] ABI comparison with reflection : new proposal

From: Saksham Sharma <saksham0808_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:50:51 -0500
Hi Tiago,

Thanks for your reply, your points are quite valid. I can imagine some of
those issues! In fact, RTTI of exceptions across modules has stumped me so
many times myself! (In particular, throwing boost::exceptions in python
extension modules, or boost exceptions thrown by precompiled shared
libraries, being caught in my code).

My thoughts on the issues you mentioned, and how this paper may be a bit
different, are as follows:

1. RTTI is subtly different from just checking a contract between two
modules. Instead of "are these the same type", we're just asking "can I use
this incoming data and expect all the members etc that I care about, to be
in the same place with the same types"? These two are mostly
interchangeable, but point 2 explains this in some more detail.

2. For use-cases in software that I'm familiar with (low latency,
distributed systems, python extension modules), having a "can I use this
incoming data as usual" boolean can solve a majority of the pain points,
without actually endeavoring to be a 100% precision AND 100% recall system.
Basically, my claim is that if user defined types (and perhaps STL
structures) can be covered in a relatively precise manner (100% precision,
but NOT 100% recall), that would be valuable to a lot of users and would
solve a number of problems in those systems that presently people have to
jump through hoops to solve. And the proposed solution is not at all
intrusive since it is purely a library.

3. With a reflection system as proposed by P2996, implementation is pretty
straightforward for the most part. This is something that was not the case
in the past, and may have added unnecessary friction to past attempts as
far as I can think. A lot of the tasks the compiler may have had to do,
kind of, now are offloaded to the reflection system to handle. So once we
hash all members and their offsets recursively (among other things),
presumably that is enough to introspect the compiler's internals in a way
and compute a perfect comparison hash (assuming hash functions are perfect).

This also made me think of one more item. The "add a version integer into
your struct and increment it manually" solution is not 100% precise because
it does not cover that the two modules may have been compiled with
different compilers and may have different layouts. This reflection based
approach would be safer there.

Thanks again for your thoughts, this definitely adds to the conversation on
this topic. Let me know what you think on the above.

Regards,
Saksham