Re: [std-proposals] [[packed]] std::unaligned

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:30:51 -0500
On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 7:26 PM Frederick Virchanza Gotham via
Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 8:13 PM Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >
> > Which makes this DoA because you need a copy constructor to keep the validity.
> > libstdc++'s C++11 std::string contains a pointer that points back to the
> > object, so this std::string isn't trivially relocatable.
>

> Thiago you always do this. I spend about 4.2 seconds of my time and
> half a picojoule of brain energy picking out an arbitrary type from
> the standard library just to compose an example, and you latch onto it
> and give an in-depth analysis of why it's lack-lustre.

... yes, that's how the process works.

You get what you give. Ideas or justifications that were tossed out
without due consideration can be rejected with just as much
consideration. If you're only spending "4.2 seconds of my time and
half a picojoule of brain energy" coming up with examples to justify
your proposal's utility, why are you surprised that they are brushed
aside as casually as you presented them?

Take the time to make a well-considered example, and you will find it
less likely to be discarded for being poorly conceived of.

Garbage in, garbage out.