Re: [std-proposals] std::shared_ptr resurrect

From: Marcin Jaczewski <marcinjaczewski86_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:57:12 +0100
śr., 13 gru 2023 o 19:31 Valentin Palade <vipalade_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):

> Agree with DoA.
>
> Will further rely on the following solution:
> SharedMessageT collapse(SharedMessageT &_rsm, const ssize_t _expect = 1)
> {
> SharedMessageT::weak_type wt{_rsm};
>
> _rsm.reset();
>
> if(wt.use_count() == _expect){
> return wt.lock();
> }
> return SharedMessageT{};
> }

This logic have "data race". Consider this sequential code:
```
    auto _rsm1 = std::make_shared<T>();
    auto _rsm2 = _rsm1;

    SharedMessageT::weak_type wt1{_rsm1};
    SharedMessageT::weak_type wt2{_rsm2};

    _rsm1.reset();
    _rsm2.reset();

    if(wt1.use_count() == _expect) ok1 = true;
    if(wt2.use_count() == _expect) ok2 = true;

    if (ok1) wt1.lock();
    if (ok2) wt2.lock();
```
As we can easily see, both weak pointers will lock.
If this case have problems, even more real multithreading code
will have.

If `reset()` return user count after decrement (as one atomic
operation) then we will have:
```
SharedMessageT::weak_type wt{_rsm};

if (_rsm.reset_and_use_count() == _expect)
{
    return wt.lock();
}
```
Code like this should work if nobody try bump the number of shared pointers.