Re: [std-proposals] In re: Issue2157

From: Arthur O'Dwyer <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 18:27:35 -0500
On Thu, Dec 7, 2023 at 2:00 AM Jens Maurer <jens.maurer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 05/12/2023 22.36, Arthur O'Dwyer via Std-Proposals wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 4:03 PM Ryan Nicholl via Std-Proposals <
> std-proposals_at_[hidden] <mailto:std-proposals_at_[hidden]>>
> wrote:
> >
> > I want to raise my personal concern around the proposed solution
> to Issue2157.
> >
> > I do not believe that std::array<T, 0> {{}}; should be required to
> be valid syntax. This prevents std::array<T, 0> from being implemented as
> an empty struct. It is also just logically inconsistent with an array that
> contains no elements. I believe this eliminates empty base class
> optimization and presents several other issues that I believe diverge from
> the 0 overhead principle. For this reason I think the solution ought to be
> reconsidered.
> >

> > (You're talking about LWG 2157 <
> https://cplusplus.github.io/LWG/issue2157>, "How does std::array<T,0>
> initialization work when T is not default-constructible?".)
> >
> > There are two caveats you don't seem to be taking into account:
> > (1) No user-programmer ever should write `array<T,0> t = {{}};` —
> `array`, like every other STL container and algebraic type, is intended to
> be used with a single pair of braces `array<T,0> t = {};`. Yes, in
> all present-day library implementations this relies on brace elision <
> https://eel.is/c++draft/dcl.init.aggr#16.sentence-1>; that's okay.
> > (2) No library vendor implements `array<T,0>` as an empty type.
> >
> > Asking for `array<T,0>` to be "maybe empty, maybe not" would cause
> (minor) pain for user-programmers. Asking for it to be "always empty" would
> cause (major ABI-breaking) pain for vendors. The proposed resolution of LWG
> 2157 seems to fix some infelicities in the current wording, without causing
> pain for (1) any user-programmer or (2) any existing vendor. So it seems
> like an improvement to me.

I take this back: LWG2157's P/R is a breaking change for (at least) libc++,
because it proposes [emphasis added; this whole sentence is inserted in the
P/R]:
> A zero-sized array type is an aggregate [...]. There is a single element
of the aggregate, of an unspecified *empty* aggregate type.
libc++'s single member is an aggregate (a char array), but it's not an
empty aggregate.
So LWG 2157 is already proposing to break vendors — so I withdraw my "seems
like an improvement." As long as we're paying for the ABI break anyway, it
might be worth looking for an even more aggressively better P/R.

A consistency point of view:
> T * p = new T[n];
> (where n might be a constant or not)
> is now required to have T default constructible even if n = 0. CWG 2102
> <https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_active.html#2102>.

That's a different (and perhaps even deeper) can of worms, right?
We currently lack specification for whether any of these expressions are
supposed to work:
  std::array<const int, 0> ca = {}; // OK
  std::array<const int, 0> cb; // unclear; libc++ and *Microsoft* reject;
*libstdc++* accepts
  ca = ca; // unclear; libc++ and Microsoft reject; libstdc++ accepts
  ca.fill(42); // unclear; libc++ and *libstdc++* reject; *Microsoft*
accepts
  ca.swap(ca); // unclear; libc++ and libstdc++ reject; Microsoft accepts
Is there yet an LWG issue to clarify the well-formedness of the "mutating"
member functions of array<const T, N>?

Thanks,
Arthur