Re: [std-proposals] Iterating over a parameter pack for...

From: Marcin Jaczewski <marcinjaczewski86_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 11:02:38 +0100
wt., 5 gru 2023 o 03:07 Julien Villemure-Fréchette via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):

> Recursive evaluation of consteval functions seem even more natural than using control flow structures for traversing parameter packs.
> Recursion termination is done by providing a more specialized overload of the function.

There are already proposals for change like this.
You can even see it in this paper as side note in one of examples:
https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2023/p2996r0.html#enum-to-string

`template for` has a big advantage over the current approach as it is
dramatically simpler than a set of overloads.
Overall my pet peeve would be mixing `template for` with `swich`:
```
switch (x)
{
    template for (constexpr auto a : list)
    {
        // this line is effective copy pasted multiple times
        // with different `a` from each iteration of `template for`
        case a: return foo<a>();
    }
}
```
But I do not know if something like this would even be included in the standard.