Re: [std-proposals] void std::optional<T>::abandon(void) noexcept

From: Richard Hodges <hodges.r_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:10:36 +0100
On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 at 17:08, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 3:52 PM Richard Hodges wrote:
> >
> > > If you have spawned 6 threads, and if one of them freezes,...
> >
> > one would re-write your thread code to include the ability to cancel the
> thread and exit cleanly, surely?
> >
> > A well-formed program does not "freeze".
>

> How many rodeos have you been to?

I've been writing software for a living since the age of 16. I am now 55.
Quite a few rodeos. Many of them on proprietary hardware operating in
hostile environments.
For example, in the slot machines I used to write, I had to write code to
detect the deliberate use of electric sparks to corrupt memory, coins with
strings attached to them being pushed into the coin mech, and even beer
being spat into the coin mechanism to fool the coin detectors.

> Operating systems lock up, device
> drivers lock up, virtual machines lock up. 3rd party libraries lock
> up. Attend more rodeos.

Which is more likely? That the million or so authors, maintainers,
reviewers and users of open source operating systems and libraries missed a
bug that only manifests in my code; or that there is the smallest chance
that the problem is in my code?

Now I'm not a gambling man, but...