Re: [std-proposals] void std::optional<T>::abandon(void) noexcept

From: Julien Villemure-Fréchette <julien.villemure_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:36:59 -0500
Lots of software needs to deal with potentially unreliable external software: for instance an SSH connection hangs. These kinds of problems already have their solutions, and generally involves monitoring from outside the process itself, like separating a daemon from the client that interacts with it, or forking a new process to run code that will interact with potentially unreliable software so as to isolate the listening/monitoring process from such unpredictability. Then, the crashing subprocess lets your parent subprocess intact and also make it possible to observe possible causes of failure, then decide and take appropriate actions like retrying, etc.

The problem you seek to solve is an architectural one: and its solution is programing language agnostic.

> Some programmers get caught up in fairtytale stuff like the object
model, playing around with "start_lifetimes_as" and forgetting about
how transistors work.

I get that the replies from this mailing list often gets very technical, and common day to day programing task or good coding practices doesn't require involvement into such details. Those often come up as arguments when a proposal would put the consistency of the language at stakes. But most people just want to the the job done fast, and care little about consistency. From my experience, going the fast way without thinking of other solutions that would be more consistent with the model leads to technical debt. This might be acceptable for software you develop, but not for an IS.

Julien