Re: [std-proposals] inplace_vector failable apis

From: JeanHeyd Meneide <phdofthehouse_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:25:27 -0500
On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 1:11 PM Marcin Jaczewski via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I heard couple problems with the design of this optional,
> as there are two competing approaches to how it should work.
> Question is why then does the standard avoid some of this problems
> and have for example `optional_ref<T>`?

     What you heard of is a fantasy scenario, cooked up by people who never
implemented the optional they talked about. They spent so much time
pontificating about it rather than trying it out and seeing the obvious
flaws in its design that they rolled back clearly deployed, widely
implemented, and heavily used existing practice for the standard version of
std::optional. optional_ref<T> is a solution looking for a problem that
never existed both in its theory beyond shallow FUD examples, and in its
practice since it was literally never implemented.

     Ever.

     Paper: https://thephd.dev/_vendor/future_cxx/papers/d1683.html
     Blog: https://thephd.dev/to-bind-and-loose-a-reference-optional