Re: [std-proposals] Callsite passed as template parameter

From: Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 11:38:47 +0000
On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 10:19 AM Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> OK, but not suitable for the C++ standard. This isn't a mailing list for sharing your cool ideas.

Are you saying that the C++ standard shouldn't accommodate
microcontrollers, or that the C++ standard shouldn't accommodate
micro-optimisation?

Last Thursday I was at a C++ talk in Belfast by Jason McGuiness where
he was talking about writing template state machines to take advantage
of the x86 instruction:

    call qword pointer [ immediate + immediate * register ]

instead of using an 'if else' ladder. He was trying to shave off CPU
cycles in his code for low latency financial trading systems. People
are actually doing that.