Re: [std-proposals] Slurp or any other RAII text file API

From: Grzegorz Sikorski <sikorski.grzegorz_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 21:37:39 +0100
> For small-to-medium text files, I read the entire thing into memory in
one read() call and scan with regular expressions.

Yes, I was referring mostly to this scenario. The problem I have is that
"one read() call" does not have a nice API. In many applications the
problem to deal with is simply loading a config file and parse. Assuming
some reasonable (and parameterized) limit on the file size, it should not
be that cumbersome to load it into a std::string for further processing. Or
maybe a class like this one would do:

struct file {
file(const std::filesystem::path& location);
std::string read(size_t limit = 4096U);
std::string readline();
};

My point is it seems to be quite common to write this by hand one way or
another and yet C++ still lacks a nice API for that. It is a shame that
Python has a lot better RAII interface in this area than C++ :)