Re: [std-proposals] template catch block

From: Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:47:43 +0100
On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 12:23 AM Jason McKesson wrote:

> Why do you think the number of `typeinfo` objects is relevant here?
>
> `typeinfo`s are only generated if you statically do something that
> *requires* such a type to exist. Like calling `typeid` on it, or maybe
> using `dynamic_cast`. If your program never uses `typeid` on those
> types, then `typeinfo` objects won't exist for them.

There are a few more scenarios in which the typeinfo will be
generated. Consider the following translation unit:

    enum Animal { Frog, Cat, Monkey };
    void Func(void) {}

If I use the latest version of g++ on Linux to make an object file out
of this, and then run "nm -C" on it, I get:

    0000000000000000 T Func()

Now if I make an alteration to the translation unit as follows:

    enum Animal { Frog, Cat, Monkey };
    void Func(void) { throw Frog; }

I compile this and run "nm -C", and I get:

                     U __cxa_allocate_exception
                     U __cxa_throw
    0000000000000000 T Func()
    0000000000000000 V typeinfo for Animal
    0000000000000000 V typeinfo name for Animal
                    U vtable for __cxxabiv1::__enum_type_info

So if you ever throw an object of any type, then the typeinfo for that
type is generated and put inside the object file. The same thing
happens if you use any type with 'std::any', like in the following
translation unit:

    #include <any>
    enum Animal { Frog, Cat, Monkey };
    void Func(std::any &arg) { arg = Frog; }

This too results in the typeinfo for 'Animal' being generated and put
inside the object file.

I'm going to try to implement "std::visit( Visitor, std::any& )" for
my program which has 41 object files. First thing I'll do is create a
source file that includes all the C++ standard library header files:

    echo "algorithm<any<array<atomic<barrier<bit<bitset<cassert<ccomplex<cctype<cerrno<cfenv<cfloat<charconv<chrono<cinttypes<ciso646<climits<clocale<cmath<codecvt<compare<complex<concepts<condition_variable<coroutine<csetjmp<csignal<cstdalign<cstdarg<cstdbool<cstddef<cstdint<cstdio<cstdlib<cstring<ctgmath<ctime<cuchar<cwchar<cwctype<deque<exception<execution<expected<filesystem<format<forward_list<fstream<functional<future<initializer_list<iomanip<ios<iosfwd<iostream<istream<iterator<latch<limits<list<locale<map<memory<memory_resource<mutex<new<numbers<numeric<optional<ostream<queue<random<ranges<ratio<regex<scoped_allocator<semaphore<set<shared_mutex<source_location<span<spanstream<sstream<stack<stacktrace<stdexcept<stdfloat<stop_token<streambuf<string<string_view<strstream<syncstream<system_error<thread<tuple<typeindex<typeinfo<type_traits<unordered_map<unordered_set<utility<valarray<variant<vector<version"
| tr '<' '\n' | awk '{print "#include <" $s ">"}' > allheaders.cpp

Next I will append an inclusion directive for all my own header files:

    find -maxdepth 1 -iname "*.h" -or -iname "*.hpp" | sort | awk
'{print "#include \"" $s "\""}' >> allheaders.cpp

In tandem to this, I'll get a list of all typeinfo's across all the
object files:

    nm -C *.o | grep "typeinfo for" | grep -v " U typeinfo for" | cut
-d ' ' -f 5- | sort | uniq > alltypes.txt

Next I wrote a program that would read in all the types from
"alltypes.txt" and compose a series of 'if' statements:

    http://www.virjacode.com/download/make_visit_any.cpp

I built this program and ran it, and it generated the following header
file for me:

    http://www.virjacode.com/download/visit_any.hpp

I included this header file in a source code file with one simple
function as follows:

    extern void SomeOtherFuncInSomeOtherTranslationUnit(void const*);

    extern void Func(std::any &arg)
    {
       visit<void>( [](auto &&obj){
SomeOtherFuncInSomeOtherTranslationUnit(&obj); }, arg );
    }

I compiled this source file with "-DNDEBUG -Os", and got an object
file of size 8.3 megabytes. The assembler is 24 megabytes which you
can see here:

    http://www.virjacode.com/download/assembler_for_visit_any.txt

So anyway the whole point in me doing all this is just to get people
thinking. It _is_ possible to implement "std::visit" for "std::any",
and it _is_ possible to have a template catch-block, it's just that
we'll have a few megabytes of machine code, and also that we might
have to have some way of enumerating all of the types present in a
given project (like how I scoured through all the object files with
"nm -C").