Re: [std-proposals] Let spaceship return an int

From: Chris Gary <cgary512_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:35:44 -0600

> So... what? Ditch any type system, because everything computable can be
> expressed by integers and arithmetic?

Start with general definitions and let implementations specialize. They're
just names.

Well, you and the C++ committee are going to have to agree to disagree
> on that point, because that is *not* the direction the language is
> going in. If the entire basis for your "compelling" justification for
> your desired change is "we should back-track a bunch of features
> because I don't think the language should ever depend on the library",
> then that's not going to convince many people on the committee.

My intention here is not to start a flame war. There are serious issues
with just tossing new features into namespace std that are making the
language more difficult to use where simpler syntax-only solutions would
have made things easier. This is not C# or Java. Already with typeid() we
ended up "paying" for something unreliable with something that could only
be afforded a nebulous role as "a unique ID, but not really". reflexpr()
allows introspection, but nothing should care about private members or
implementation details, this defeats the purpose of access specifiers. Most
of the time I need a reflection mechanism, its to do something like apply a
"reverse_bytes" on a member-wise basis.

Cases in point: Lambda functions, variadic templates, and perfect
forwarding did not require the addition of new library features, but rather
re-working parts of the library to utilize them. They are arguably the most
robust and widely used additions to the language since their introduction.