Re: [std-proposals] PR: std::allocator<T>::allocate is not freestanding

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 15:06:26 -0700
On Monday, 4 September 2023 13:40:41 PDT Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> He doesn't just talk about them, he reports bugs when GCC and GDB don't
> support all C++11 features on Win95 *because it's really important* for
> some reason.

I don't have a problem with people reporting bugs. I just reported one on
std::filesystem in libstdc++ where you replied too.

I don't have a problem with people claiming it's really important. They most
often do. It's a really unlikely case when someone reports "hey, I took the
time to find this and report it, but I don't care if it is fixed".

What is a problem is demanding it with little to nothing in return. There's a
cost associated with every fix, because there's a risk associated, or an
increase in maintenance. If nothing else, it's a cost of opportunity of
someone's time to fix something else, which may have a higher priority. The one
way to improve your chances of a change being adopted -- be it in the standard
or in the compiler or a library -- are to give a concise, well-written report
with supporting evidence. This should help increase the priority of the change
as well as reduce the workload of those who have to do it.

Not everyone can do that, we understand. Sometimes, bugs are really difficult to
track down. Then just be respectful and interact with those who are spending
time to help triage the issue.