Re: [std-proposals] Add [[no_unique_address]] attribute to std::pair

From: Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 22:31:34 +0200
Il 27/08/23 20:25, Arthur O'Dwyer ha scritto:
> The problem I see is that there is an unknown infinity of
> "optimizations" we might want to add to pair/tuple, and each one of them
> is an ABI break. We can't just keep inventing new names forever; at some
> point some vendor must take the plunge and break ABI (and/or drop
> support for old C++ revisions).

Ok, well, if one were to place a bet that by C++29:

1) a proposal for compressed_tuple (that solves all/several of the
points you've mentioned) gets actually adopted; OR

2) that all library vendors decide to break ABI, in sync, to do the same
for std::tuple

where would most people put their money?

My 2 c,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo