Re: [std-proposals] Every variable is volatile, everything is laundered, no optimisation

From: connor horman <chorman64_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 10:27:28 -0400
On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 at 06:31, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]
> avoid an ABI break.
>
> I'll give you an example from code I wrote just yesterday. I program the
> microcontrollers inside microscopes for a multinational firm
> (microcontrollers made by Texas Instruments (CHAR_BIT==16) and Arduino).
>
> A microscope that was designed about 20 years ago was based on a
> communication system called 'ABC', and a new microscope designed three
> years ago is based on the 'XYZ' communication system.
>
> There is an extensive SDK for the desktop PC software to interact with the
> microscopes. For every class beginning with IABC, there is another
> beginning with IXYZ.
>
> In order to save a lot of time and effort, the class for the new
> microscope was made to inherit from the old microscope:
>
> class NewMicroscope : Old Microscope {};
>
> This has been working fine for 3 years but yesterday I spent a few hours
> trying to figure out why the new microscope can't manually manipulate the
> COM port. After a few hours I realised that 'NewMicroscope' inherits from a
> class that inherits from a class that inherits from a class that inherits
> from 'IABCComHandler'. The problem here is that it should have instead
> inherited from 'IXYZComHandler'. So the following always yielded a nullptr:
>
> dynamic_cast<IXYZComHander*>(&new_microscope)
>
> But if I were to change the class hierarchy to make this dynamic_cast
> possible, then NewMicroscope would no longer inherit from OldMicroscope,
> but more importantly it would be an ABI break, and I couldn't send out a
> new DLL file to every customer in a dozen countries just because one
> customer wants to manually manipulate the COM port (it's a rare request).
>
> So what did I do? In Visual Studio I wrote:
>
> NewMicroscope obj;
> constexpr void *p1 = &obj;
> constexpr void *p2 = static_cast<IABCComHandler*>(&obj);
>
> Then I just hovered my mouse over the third line and it came up with a
> tooltip that said '&obj + 16'. Then I found another function in the API
> that gave back a pointer to another base class whose offset was '&obj + 8'.
> So I knew that if I could get a pointer to the other class, then I just had
> to add 8 to it to get the COM port handler. So I sent the customer code
> that looks like:
>
> NewMicroscope obj;
>
> IXYZInterface &inter = obj.GetInterface();
>
> IXYZComHandler &com =
> *static_cast<IXYZComHandler*>(static_cast<void*>(static_cast<char*>(static_cast<void*>(&inter))
> + 8u));
>
> The code was tested and working before I sent it to them. Is it Ideal to
> be sending code like this out to customers? No it's not. But I live in the
> real world.
>
> If C++ is a real world language then it should have a few features in it
> that allow 'repair jobs' like this. Sure I could ask my compiler vendor to
> make a change, but isn't the C++ Standard all about making these feature

This code is relying on your vendor anyways. The fact that the vptrs are in
the place they are, and that they have the matching layouts, is a detail of
your compiler. This code would not be portable to any other implementation

> I reply in series to people below.
>

> On Friday, August 25, 2023, Sebastian Wittmeier wrote:
>
>> - What about called functions? Are the rules also valid within those?
>> What about template functions? What about used operators?
>>

> When a function is marked as '__verbose', the verbosity is not extended
> into nested function calls.
>

> - All objects are treated as volatile. Including parameters, return
>> values, parameters of function calls (if DoSomething would have
>> parameters)? Including member variables of used classes/structs?
>>

> Yes, everything is treated as volatile. Every time the compiler sees the
> name of a variable inside a function, it has to read its value from memory
> again -- no assumptions are made, i.e. no optimisation.

You didn't answer whether "everything is treated as volatile" means
everything has a volatile-qualified type, or simply the optimization
implications

*void foo(bar x){* *x.baz(); *// Does this line call `void baz();` or
`void baz() volatile;` given both are defined as non-static member
functions of bar?
*} *

> - All pointers are automatically std::launder'ed. When? After each line,
>> after each instruction, after each sub-expression? With launder, you mean p
>> = std::launder(p). Of which pointers is this valid? Any pointer used in the
>> C++ program (are they registered somewhere)? Pointers used in the
>> instructions within the function? What about called functions, operators,
>> ..., which internally use pointers?
>>

> Inside the function, every pointer has 'launder' applied to it before
> every dereference, and there is no caching of the vtable. Every single
> pointer.

Is dereference the `*` operator? Or the lvalue-to-rvalue conversion? Both
of these can add UB to programs, before dereference can add a lot, as
`std::launder` requires quite a few things that aren't enforced by the mere
act of dereferencing a pointer.

*int x = 0;*
*float* f = reinterpret_cast<float*>(&x);*
*float& g = *f;*
*int& i = reinterpret_cast<int&>(g);*

This code has DB because it never does anything that enforces that `x` have
a type similar to `float`.
If we add `std::launder` at the static type of each pointer, we get

*int x = 0; // good*
*float* f = reinterpret_cast<float*>(&x); // still good*
*float& g= *std::launder(f); // Oops*
*int& i = reinterpret_cast<int&>(g); *

This is because `std::launder` requires that the object selected have a
type similar to `T`. `int` and `float` are not similar. It's not such
strict aliasing either. I can write code that is defined behaviour in base
C++, such that replacing each pointer operand to the unary `*` operator
with a call to std::launder` applied to that pointer violates any of the
preconditions in [ptr.launder], except for the first "p represents the
address A of a byte of memory."

Also, does `&*p` turn into `&*std::launder(p)`? If so, `p=nullptr` and
kaboom.