Re: [std-proposals] Every variable is volatile, everything is laundered, no optimisation

From: Brian Bi <bbi5291_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:24:16 -0400
On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 5:24 AM Frederick Virchanza Gotham via
Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've occasionally seen people use the compiler switch "-O0" with the
> GNU compiler and also with LLVM.
>
> What if we had a standardised way of marking a function as 'verbose'
> to tell the compiler:
> (1) All objects are to be treated as 'volatile'
> (2) All pointers are automatically std::launder'ed
> (3) No shortcuts are taken for aliasing

Note that these are actually two different kinds of changes. (2) and (3)
have the potential to give the program defined behaviour if it otherwise
would have had undefined behaviour. On the other hand, in (1) I assume that
you do not actually want to change the types for the purpose of semantic
analysis (e.g., if you call a method on the object, you wouldn't want it to
implicitly call the volatile-qualified overload) and you just want to
disable certain optimizations. In that case, you do not need the standard,
you just need to convince your compiler vendor to add an attribute that you
could slap on the function in order to tell the compiler to disable those
optimizations.

As for (2) and (3), I personally think that there is value in providing a
way to opt out of certain forms of UB that have no purpose other than to
let the optimizer make extra assumptions, but it is not clear whether the
idea of controlling it on a per-function basis is coherent. GCC has
-fno-strict-aliasing, which you can control only per translation, not per
function; perhaps that is good enough already? If I were you, I would talk
to the GCC folks and find out more about how that flag works, and to what
extent it's possible to link together two different TUs where one of them
was translated with the flag and the other was not, and other important
details like that, and whether they see any obvious specification issues
with trying to standardize such a flag (perhaps in the form of a new type
of declaration that must occur at the beginning of a translation unit
before any declarations of objects, functions, or classes).

> Something like as follows:
>
> void Func(int *const p, double *const q) __verbose
> {
> *p = 0;
> *q = 67.5;
> if ( *p ) DoSomething();
> }
>
> In the above function, normally the 'if' statement would be removed by
> the optimiser. But since the function is marked as 'verbose', the two
> pointers 'p' and 'q' are treated as pointing to volatile, and also
> there's no anti-aliasing assumption between 'p' and 'q'.

*Brian Bi*