Re: [std-proposals] Copy-construct, move-construct, and PR-construct

From: Arthur O'Dwyer <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 07:33:53 -0800
On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 7:10 AM Ville Voutilainen via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 at 18:07, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals
> <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > If we are to be able to put a PRvalue inside an std::optional in
> > C++26, then there's two ways of going about it:
> > Strategy 1: Give std::optional a new member function such as
> > 'PRemplace', to which you pass a function pointer to allow it to
> > invoke the function and put the return value in a pre-allocated
> > buffer.
> > Strategy 2: Give us PR-construction and PR-assignment.
> >
> > I'm leaning toward Strategy 2.
>
> I wonder what happened to the third strategy, which is to pass as the
> argument of existing emplace an object
> that will perform the function invocation in its conversion operator
> to the optional's element type, which then
> allows doing this without any library or language changes, and has
> field experience as a solution to this problem.

That's the "super-constructing super-elider"
https://quuxplusone.github.io/blog/2018/05/17/super-elider-round-2/
and it already works great and needs no help from the paper standard...
except in the specific use-case this thread keeps drifting around, which is
when you want to construct an immobile object *and do something with it*
before yielding it back to your caller.

    std::mutex returnLockedMutex() {
        std::mutex m;
        m.lock();
        [[nrvo]] return m; // fantasy syntax, doesn't compile today
because m isn't move-constructible
    }
    int main() {
        std::mutex m = returnLockedMutex(); // OK
    }

The SCSE doesn't help with this use-case.
You can already put a mutex into an optional just fine, but you can't put a
*locked* mutex *anywhere *— not into an optional, not into a plain old
variable, nowhere.

–Arthur