Re: [std-proposals] Copy-construct, move-construct, and PR-construct

From: Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:18:20 +0100
On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 10:59 PM Frederick Virchanza Gotham
<cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> (Step 4) After the first tiny thunk-like function returns, the
> function 'FuncThatReturnsMutex' is invoked with the RDI register set
> to the address of the member variable 'buf' which resides inside the
> 'optional' object, and so the mutex gets emplaced in 'buf'.

I just realised that the call to 'FuncThatReturnsMutex' would have to
be a part of the first tiny thunk-like function. So the first
thunk-like function would:
(a) Copy values from the stack into the registers (and possibly to the
top of the stack)
(b) Call 'FuncThatReturnsMutex'

I might actually write the x86_64 assembler for this later today.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 11:24 PM Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Can you explain why a function would return a mutex in the first place?

No, I can't. Since the beginning of the discussion about NRVO, I've
been using mutex as an easy example from the Std library of a class
that is both uncopiable and unmovable.
Other guys have written papers on NRVO in which they've used a
'Widget' instead of a mutex.

> Mutexes aren't copyable or movable *because* their address matters. A mutex at
> a different address is not the same mutex, even if it has been locked and
> unlocked exactly as many times.

Yeah I get that.

> Semantically, this function shouldn't *return* a mutex. It should receive a
> mutex by reference so it can lock and unlock it as necessary. And if the
> purpose of the function is to create said mutex, then you've already stumbled
> upon the correct container to pass it: optional<mutex>.
>
> void FunctionThatCreatesMutex(std::optional<mutex> &where);

The C and C++ languages have already been designed so that functions
have return values.
>From the very beginning when they made K&R C, perhaps the following function:

    int Manipulate(int const a, int const b)
    {
        return a*4 + b*3 + 7;
    }

should have been written as:

    function Manipulate(int *const retval, int const a, int const b)
    {
        *retval = a*4 + b*3 + 7;
    }

But Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie, and then later Bjarne
Stroustrup, kept the whole 'return value' thing. So I'm just working
with what we have.

> If you want to avoid the 100% overhead incurred by std::optional,

I don't know where you get 100% from here.... having an extra bool
isn't a big deal. Also using 'operator->' instead of 'value' avoids
the check.

> you can use
> std::unique_ptr and accept the penalty of the indirection. Or you can avoid
> both if you can accept the non-RAII-safe implementation:
>
> void FunctionThatCreatesMutex(std::mutex *where); // or void*

That's pretty much what I do on Page 5 of my NRVO paper:
http://www.virjacode.com/downloads/nrvo/paper_nrvo_latest.pdf

> If you want to argue that the above is cumbersome or prone to failure or hard
> to maintain or any of a series of possible drawbacks, you can do that. But you
> must start by examining the state of the art and explaining those things,
> which you haven't done. Moreover, you must illustrate how widespread the
> problem is and/or how many other similar use-cases could benefit from a similar
> solution.
>
> You don't start with the solution in search of a problem.

People are already vibrantly taking about RVO and NRVO, so obviously
returning a class by value from function is something that programmers
are doing today.
So all I'm saying is that if you have a function that returns an
unmovable-and-uncopiable class by value, then you should be able to
put that object inside an optional or variant or any or some Boost
class or your own personal class.