Re: [std-proposals] C++ never had a compiler without a stack

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 14:27:26 -0400
On 8/16/23 2:06 PM, Jerry Coffin via Std-Proposals wrote:
> > To my knowledge, there has never been a C++ compiler for a processor
> > that doesn't have a stack.
>
> What do you mean by "stack"?
>
> There are certainly C++ compilers for IBM mainframes, which don't have
> a stack as a thing that's supported by the hardware.
>
> Their C++ compiler uses their Language Environment™. They have 31-bit
> and 64-bit addressing modes.I'm not sure exactly how it works in
> 64-bit mode, but in 31-bit mode, the "stack" is basically a linked
> list of separate chunks of memory.

z/OS executables built with xplink, use both an upward growing stack
(for traditional non-xplink enabled code) and a downward growing stack
(for xplink enabled code). As function calls occur, state is
pushed/popped on the relevant stack for the callee. xplink uses a biased
stack pointer to enable end of stack probing and to facilitate
allocation of, and transition between, stack segments.

Tom.