Re: [std-proposals] Header Units Problem and Possible Fixes In HMake

From: Hassan Sajjad <hassan.sajjad069_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 14:22:15 +0500
I emailed this mailing list following from this link
https://isocpp.org/std/submit-a-proposal. I floated the idea and if it gets
accepted, I will write a proposal. My proposal will be in the same category
as this paper P1689R5
<https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2022/p1689r5.html>.

> Regardless, I recommend you reach out to your fellow buildsystem
> communities,
> in case they are not represented in SG15.

I think they are represented in SG15. If not I will contact them.

> Can I also give you a piece of advice?

Sure.

> Phrase your discussion in terms of what
> the limitations of the language and/or the tooling are, not of your
> project.

I was unsure about it. Maybe there is a catch and I am missing something. I
will later on not mention my project except for the sake of an example.

> When you wrote "HMake however has a flaw and there is no easy solution for
> it",
> my first reaction was to wonder why I should care about a tool I had never
> heard about. I bet I wasn't the only one.

I should have said that no other build-system has even limited header-units
support in my email.

> Moreover, you should analyse whether such a
> limitation is inherent in the C++ Modules standard language or if it is a
> limitation of the implementations. I think you're saying it's the latter,
> but
> I can't be sure. But even if it is, a discussion of whether any language
> changes would also solve or alleviate the problem would be interesting.

I am not in this position. I can bring only the build-system perspective.
>From that solution 5 appears to be the most optimal. Maybe compiler-devs
can think of something different to alleviate this.

> That latter portion would be welcome in the std-discussion list.

 I am unclear on what should be posted on this mailing list and what on the
std-discussion.