Re: [std-proposals] [WIP Draft Proposal] Support for compiling libraries + linkage in the C++ Language

From: Julien Villemure-Fréchette <julien.villemure_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 15:13:59 -0400
This proposal is most related to ABI, and I think this would be out of scope for the specification of C++ language; the specification is strictly concerned about language level semantics (the _abstract machine_) and specifies no more requirements on implementation details than is necessary to permit concrete implementations achieve a maximum level of semantic consistency (portability) of the *source code* (with a strong emphasis), while keeping it possible to implement in an efficient way. See section 4.1 [intro.compliance]; it defines the scope of the C++ standard. Any formal specification clearly indicates its scope, thereby limiting how it can eventually evolve. Such a distinction is important to make the specification evolve in a direction which is consistent with the original intents and objectives of it.

The current working draft makes no normative statement on the concrete entities that represents translated TUs (the so called object filed), how they are organized (both internally and externally) or how they interact (ie how they communicate). Hence, adding specific requirements that would only affect the nature or morphology of translated TUs, is just immaterial as it has no observable interaction with the rest of the standard. Unless the abstract concept of "shared library" is defined in section 5 [lex] and referred to elsewhere in the standard, such an entity name is no more special than other external name other than being marked as such. Hence, a conforming implementation could as well just get this entity from an object file statically as there is no material difference (yet) between obtaining the entity from a static lib, a shared lib, or even anywhere the build tool might have chosen. That's unless you further propose an actual *formal specification* of what's a shared lib (and also what's library at all). Your definition will need to cope with the possibility that an implementation might not have a dynamic linker (ie, a loader), or even a linker at all. What about freestanding implementations, or an implementation that is a C++ interpreter (which is not precluded, as it can legitimately implement the semantics of the "abstract machine" which is the subject of the formal specification), etc.

The standard doesn't go into the details of how "separate compilation", and goes no further than translation units as the fundamental structure of program fragment, as there would be a countably infinite number of equally legitimate ways to implement a (conforming) program so as to observe mandated behavior.

Julien V.