Re: [std-proposals] D2879R0 Proposal of Pythonesque std::print extensions LIVE LINK

From: Barry Revzin <barry.revzin_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 19:27:59 -0600
One of the use-cases for {fmt} is to be able to translate the format
string, and use the arguments in a different order. Sometimes that means
some of those arguments may not even be used. That's why
println("nwidgets:", 42) is a valid call today - it's just that the
argument happens to not be used. This proposal would change the meaning of
all of that code. Of the 5 examples, 3 are valid code today and would
change meaning.

Also if the premise is that println(x, y, z) just prints x then y then z,
then having println("#{}:", 5, 6, 7) print "5: 6 7" doesn't really fit that
goal at all. This isn't how print works in Python.

We (all one of us) think this is a bad idea.

Barry