Re: [std-proposals] D2879R0 Proposal of Pythonesque std::print extensions LIVE LINK

From: Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 09:34:30 +0100
On Thu, 11 May 2023 at 06:23, Andrew Tomazos via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Please find below a LIVE LINK to a short 2-page proposal:

Aside: I find your habit of loudly calling these a LIVE LINK a little
confusing, because Livelink is the official document repository for ISO
working groups. All ISO C++ WG21 N-numbered papers get submitted to
Livelink, but our P-numbered papers don't (that's one of the main reasons
we started using P-numbers). So it's a bit confusing to see something that
isn't even a P-paper yet referred to like that. I think everybody
understands that google docs are "live" and can change.

> D2879R0 Proposal of Pythonesque std::print extensions
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E5y_osldYmdBYxUQh8sBlGIEOxJ0FoRiXAJaJD4XATQ
>
> > We propose extensions to std::print/ln such that the format string is
> automatically deduced and/or extended from the arguments to std::print/ln -
> in a similar fashion to the existing practice of the Python `print`
> function, and like other similar functions from other languages.

This would benefit from references to the specs for other languages,
showing precisely how they handle these cases. At the very least, a
reference for the Python equivalent that is prominently referred to.