Re: [std-proposals] Fwd: set_new_handler extension

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 21:19:27 -0300
On Saturday, 8 April 2023 20:51:26 -03 Phil Bouchard wrote:
> Well I just mentioned the problems (security, efficiency, robustness,
> ..). Here are the solutions:
>
> 1) Well for the security part solved by C++ Superset, here's its
> documentation:
> https://www.fornux.com/files/pdf/Superset_Manual.pdf
>
> But C++ Superset is patented and commercial so I don't expected to make
> it part of the standards

Thanks for the warning. That also means I can't even open that link.

> 2) For low latency FIFO containers we can integrate the following one:
> https://github.com/philippeb8/cplusplus-overload-new

You still have yet to explain *how* this solution addresses the problem. This
is what I am saying that you're jumping from "there's a problem" to "here's a
solution, trust me it works". The "trust me" isn't enough for this forum or
for the standards committee. You'll have to write a rigorous paper explaining
just how it works, how it solves the problem, what the drawbacks are, and how
it's better than other possible solutions or at least why this solution should
be adopted now instead of those others. This forum can help you with that, but
*you* have to start with the evidence and lines of thought.

> It is still incomplete as it lacks a simple subtraction for deallocated
> blocks but you get the idea.

I"m reading "I haven't proven it works in real life, let alone that it solves
the problem."

> It is 3.6 times faster under Linux so I expect an even greater standard
> deviation under Windows.

Faster than what? What workloads? Under what conditions? Compared to what
other solutions?

> 3) I know C++ hash maps are very slow and all companies requiring fast
> hash maps replace the standard one. So some attention should be put there.
>
> Even Linus Torvalds would stop complaining C++ is fixing the wrong
> problems because he's definitely right.

No, he wouldn't. I've met him and I have discussed C++ with him. He won't stop
complaining about C++.

That isn't to say he's wrong; he does have some valid points. But he says
isn't gospel. Heck, what Bjarne says isn't gospel either.