Re: [std-proposals] Fwd: set_new_handler extension

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 19:44:35 -0300
On Saturday, 8 April 2023 19:22:58 -03 Phil Bouchard wrote:
> Well we're in 2023 and I still wasted a month trying to pinpoint a
> memory problem on Windows. There are ways to solve these problems
> implicitly and if anybody claims he never had these problems then he's
> living on a different planet.
>
> I still need to fine tune some array initialization in C++ Superset to
> adapt to the Clang API but it already handles the security aspect.

Note I *do* agree with you that the tooling available on Windows is limited,
compared to Linux. Even macOS is. Every time I need to debug a low-level
problem (non-GUI) on macOS, I fire up my FreeBSD VM, which has better tooling.

However, that has nothing to do with the problem at all. You have to put up
with those sub-par availability because of the popularity of the OS.

> Performance and latency are very important factors in the financial
> sector as the requests need to be processed in real-time.

No dispute here. Performance and latency are important to everyone, actually.
The only question is the relative priority of those versus other things, like
complexity / maintainability of the code, memory footprint, time to market,
availability and cost of developers, of tooling, etc.

But you have to show that there *is* a problem to be solved and show how your
proposed idea solves it, plus contrast it with other possible solutions. Like
I said above, improving latency would be welcome by a lot of people; but how
does your solution do that?

> I'm trying to be proactive at the same time so my conclusions and
> advises are to keep developing under Linux first and port it to Windows
> after it has been proven to be stable. Not the other way around.

I do that too.