Re: [std-proposals] Slow bulky integer types (128-bit)

From: Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:07:02 +0100
On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 at 11:05, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 10:51 AM Bo Persson via Std-Proposals
> <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > > Do we really want the C++ Standard to redefine English language
> > > scientific terms?
> >
> > Yes, it does so all the time.
>

> Should I make my programs future-proof today by preparing for the day
> when Pi is no longer an irrational number?

You're just being silly now.

> I mean you're telling me that the Standard can redefine simple English
> terms,

No. The English term still means the same thing. The standard defines terms
**using English words** but within the scope of the C++ standard, they have
the meaning ascribed to them by the standard. The standard defines what
"argument" means. That doesn't mean I can't have an argument with clowns on
the internet, it just means that **within the scope of C++** that word has
a specific meaning, as defined by the standard.