Re: [std-proposals] Chimeric Pointer

From: Marian Darius <marian.darius98_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 00:01:11 +0000
Hello Frederick,

After reading your proposal, I tend to agree with Arthur that this can
mostly be accomplished without language changes. The only inherent
"compiler magic" I see in your proposal is the "->" operator on the
chimeric pointer, which I wouldn't know how to implement in the current
language. An alternative which also solves any potential ambiguity is to be
more explicit by using a cast member or free function (as<As>() member in
my example below).

You can implement the chimeric pointer to store the pointer as void* and
validate the type during construction and access:
template<class... Bases>
class chimeric_ptr {
    void* raw_;

public:
    template<class T>
    requires ((std::is_base_of_v<Bases, T> && ...))
    /* implicit */ chimeric_ptr(T* obj): raw_(obj) {}

    template<class As>
    requires ((std::is_same_v<Bases, As> || ...))
    As* as() {
        return static_cast<As*>(raw_);
    }
};
This way, you can safely cast your pointer to any of the required base
classes, and you cannot construct an invalid chimeric_ptr instance. The
static_cast from void to As is safe because of the validation during
construction and restriction on the template parameter of as. And it's
sizeof(void*) because it *is* a void*. You can pick the constructor's
condition to be either is_base_of_v or is_convertible_v based on need, but
I think is_base_of is a better fit for the use case you presented.

I wrote up the demo in Compiler Exporer that includes your example usage
here: https://godbolt.org/z/4q1GjWGoW

Let me know if I'm missing anything here.

Darius