Re: [std-proposals] Chimeric Pointer

From: Sebastian Wittmeier <wittmeier_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 07:15:37 +0100
Hi Frederick,   as I understand your paper a Chimeric Pointer is a pointer to a class inheriting from all the listed base classes and supporting the -> operator for members of those base classes without additional cast   What would be the advantages and disadvantages of a concept with those properties? Is the main advantage that the Chimeric Pointer erases the actual type and the function with the pointer parameter does not have to be a template?   -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von:Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> Gesendet:Do 24.11.2022 23:46 Betreff:[std-proposals] Chimeric Pointer Anlage:chimeric_pointer.pdf An:std-proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]>; CC:Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>; I've written a 2-page PDF file to describe my new idea of chimeric pointers. I've tried to attach it to this email, and also you can download it from my webspace here:    http://www.virjacode.com/download/chimeric_pointer.pdf Here's a excerpt from the PDF: "When you apply the ‘->’ operator to a chimeric pointer and then try to access a member object or a member function, the compiler tries to find the member in all the base classes" -- Std-Proposals mailing list Std-Proposals_at_[hidden] https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/std-proposals