Re: [std-proposals] Namespace with access specifiers in class interface

From: Jason C <jason.cipriani_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 16:24:54 -0500
Private, protected, and public provide control over inheritance of members,
which would not be possible by diligence alone (and the lack of "private"
would kill interoperability between various code sets by forcing all
developers to choose personally unique member variable names to allow
subclasses to exist without conflicting with base class should-be-private
member names), and the use case for design rule enforcement is enormous as
well. Otoh, the access-per-member use case seems rather esoteric (also
there are a lot of potential complications especially where inheritance and
templating become involved).

Const (and constexpr) allows the compiler to make various assumptions, and
allows code to exist that could not exist without it; allowing the
existence of a number of more complex language features especially where
temporary variables and references are concerned.

But more importantly, and to be blunt, things like private, protected,
public, const, override, those all enforce good, effective design patterns.
On the other hand, per-member access controls seem to enforce only bad
design patterns, where better organization of classes, improved
documentation, and testing are the typical good approach. To get to the
point where per-member access is necessary, mistakes would have had to have
been made, and C++ *tries* (sometimes failing, but it tries) to encourage
things that are not mistakes.

Jason