Re: [std-proposals] !override

From: Paul Fee <paul.f.fee_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 22:57:02 +0000
Thanks to all for your replies.

My only need for this is during refactoring. You've collectively given me
enough options to address my issue without additions to C++, so we needn't
go further.

The GCC -Werror=suggest-override disappeared from their manual after GCC 9,
though it still works with GCC 12.

My suggestion derived from my current use of "final". I often place it on
a class (despite core-guidelines C.139) to prove that there are no derived
classes. I'm then free to remove redundant use of virtual, which may for
example allow the virtual destructor to evaporate, allowing application of
the rule-of-zero.

Another refactor is to mark copy constructors "= delete", to prove they're
never used. This allows a redundant user-declared implementation to be
removed without fear of impacting behaviour. Sometimes I encounter code
that replicates what the language defaults already perform, but it's useful
to have the compiler confirm that the code being removed was already dead
code.

These approaches help ensure refactors don't change behaviour. I had
wanted more ways of getting the compiler to confirm my assumptions before
touching the code. Your collective answers have provided me with them.

Thank you,
Paul