Re: [std-proposals] Rust vs C/C++ vs C++ Superset

From: Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 13:24:49 -0400
On 9/27/22 13:08, Sebastian Wittmeier via Std-Proposals wrote:
> AW: [std-proposals] Rust vs C/C++ vs C++ Superset
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> so you want metaprogramming facilities to autogenerate code.
>
> The current direction is to first get static Reflection integrated
> into the standard and build metaprogramming facilities from there.
> This is a huge topic and is planned to be finished 2029+++
>
> Do you know those papers:
>
> P1240R2: Scalable reflection in C++
>
> https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2022/p1240r2.pdf
>
> P2320R0: The Syntax of Static Reflection
>
> https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2021/p2320r0.pdf
>
> P2237R0: Metaprogramming
>
> https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p2237r0.pdf
>
> If you have specific feedback for the current direction of reflection
> or involve yourself to help resolve all the issues and bring e.g.
> Static Reflection to C++26 and Metaprogramming to C++32, you should
> read deeper those and related papers and then write to the authors.
>
> C++ will get a thought-out general solution for metaprogramming, not a
> quick-fix. This will take some time.

Ok thank you very much for this valuable information!

> In the meantime, there are smartpointers in the standard library and
> external libraries, and code preprocessors and memory checkers, which
> bind themselves to a program or within the Standard Libraries.

Yeah I know about the Clang memory checker / profiler but I want these
problems to be fixed implicitly, at compile-time and in a standard way.

> Best,
>
> Sebastian
>
> PS
>
> There was a talk on Cppcon by Andrei Alexandrescu: Reflection in C++,
> where he talks about current and future generic programming.
>
> https://cppcon.digital-medium.co.uk/session/2022/reflection-in-c/
>
> It currently probably is not available free of charge yet, but for an
> online conference pass.

Ok so he's back into C++, I thought he was working on some new "D"
language. David Abrahams is also back into the C++ world but he needs to
catch up I think.

--
Email Signature
Logo <https://www.fornux.com/>
*Phil Bouchard*  facebook icon
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/phil-bouchard-5723a910/>
CTO
T: (819) 328-4743
E: phil_at_[hidden]| www.fornux.com <http://www.fornux.com>
1188 rue Saint-Louis| Gatineau (Qc), J8T 2L8 Canada
Banner <https://goglobalawards.org/> Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les
documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés uniquement aux personnes
identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations privilégiées,
confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez reçu ce
message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.
This communication (and/or the attachments) is intended for named
recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information
which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by
mistake please destroy all copies.