Re: [std-proposals] Rust vs C/C++ vs C++ Superset

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 10:58:59 -0400
On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 10:49 AM Phil Bouchard via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Apparently Rust is gaining traction very quickly, even Linus Torvalds will use it for his Linux kernel:
>
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/programming-languages-its-time-to-stop-using-c-and-c-for-new-projects-says-microsoft-azure-cto/
>
> Apparently as well Rust will not fix everything:
>
> "Bob Rudis, a cybersecurity researcher for GreyNoise Intelligence, who was formerly with Rapid7, noted developers can carry across the same bad security habits to Rust."
>
> I'm looking into waiving the patented Fornux C++ Superset to integrate it into free open source projects as well so that should fix a huge part of the problem:
>
> https://fornux.com/superset/
>
> What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that your post seems almost entirely off-topic and is
borderline spam.

Are you considering proposing this "Fornux C++ Superset" for
standardization? If so, then your post should probably explain what it
does, what problems it solves, and so forth. Most importantly of all,
the fact that this "Fornux C++ Superset" is under patent *really*
needs to be addressed if it's going to have any hope of
standardization.

And if you're not considering proposing it... then what is this post
doing on the "std-proposals" mailing list? This list is for looking at
proposed changes to the standard. If that's not what's going on, then
it doesn't need to be here.

Rust, or any other non-C++ language, is useful as a topic to this
forum only to the extent that specific practices in other languages
might be useful for adoption into C++. Beyond that, discussions of who
might want to adopt language X and so forth are all off-topic.