Re: [std-proposals] Redundant std::begin() and std::end() overloads for std::initializer_list

From: Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:11:39 +0200
Hi,

On 30/08/2022 15:43, hamburger blacktea via Std-Proposals wrote:

> I tried submitting it as a standard library issue, but the LWG chair
> said it needed a proposal. Can someone help?

Please see https://isocpp.org/std/submit-a-proposal

You basically have to produce a document and submit it.

Please read some existing proposal to see what's the expected design of
such a document:

> https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2022/

As a minimum you have to argue as of why do you think that this removal
makes sense. Just saying, we're 11 years into the making, and so that
removal will break code:

void f(std::initializer_list<int> i) {
   begin(i); // right now works; doesn't after your proposal?
}

So you'd have to justify why this code "deserves to be broken", which is
already a pretty high bar.

HTH,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden] | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts