Re: [std-proposals] Pointer to member suggestions

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 01:36:40 +0200
On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 01:25, Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Friday, 18 March 2022 11:47:31 PDT sasho648 via Std-Proposals wrote:
> > Yeah, yeah - I'm just throwing ideas - don't think I'll be bothering to
> > deal with you - if you don't find them useful - I won't bother arguing.
>
> I didn't say I found them without value. I said you need to write the
> compelling arguments for a core language syntax change, otherwise the proposal
> will never be accepted.

Right. Please don't go into "I'm not going to argue with you if you
don't instantly see the value of my great idea"
mode. There are dragons far worse than Thiago that you need to walk
past, and all they look at is your rationale,
and how convincing and compelling it is, and based on what evidence.
The intent is not to dismiss ideas, but
it's just the nature of the beast, at least to some, that all ideas
are rejected unless they provide a rationale otherwise.
If we'd accept every great idea, we'd have a language with three
thousand language facilities.

Anecdotally, the first thing I look at in all such ideas is "ha..
yeah.. that's kinda nice.. but is that really a problem common
enough that we need to make such a change?" Your idea has a much
better chance of making progress if you can easily
explain "yes, this will improve the lives of >500k C++ programmers".
And yes, I took that number out of my hat, it's no
hard limit, all I'm saying is that there's a difference between "this
is really nice" and "this is extremely useful for all sorts
of programmers in all sorts of places". Especially when accompanied
with "and here's how we know that, instead
of just wild-guessing". :)