Re: Do we need a way to take *this by value, for coroutines?

From: Gašper Ažman <gasper.azman_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:37:31 +0000
The committee actually did look at the (F this) syntax and it took a long
time to convince them that it's a bad idea.

Among the reasons (not all, but enough) - code and tools that assume
`this` is a pointer would get confused. Our old users would get confused.
It clashes with captured [this] in lambdas, `this` is a keyword and now
it's somehow valid as a name in parameter lists? We've never had a
parameter whose name was significant, we'd have to change parameter
definition grammar a lot for that to become useful. We can never decide
that `this` is accessible inside `deduced this` functions (the paper *used
to* have `this` and `self` be able to be accessed and potentially point to
different objects - say operator++(this T x) - `this` would point to
not-the-copy, and `x` would be a copy; but we decided that was really
difficult to teach).

There were other reasons, but the above laundry list is enough.