Re: scope guard

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 15:29:53 +0200
On 03/08/2021 15.18, Andrey Semashev via Std-Proposals wrote:
> On 8/3/21 4:02 PM, language.lawyer--- via Std-Proposals wrote:

>>> This only works for pointers.
>>
>> unique_ptr can be used with non-pointers
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15756960/using-unique-ptr-to-control-a-file-descriptor
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24611215/one-liner-for-raii-on-non-pointer
>
> Ok, it is possible use it with non-pointers. Doesn't mean that's
> something you would normally do instead of just writing a dedicated
> handle class instead of struggling with unique_ptr.
>
> And scope guards are not just about RAII. Really, the point of a scope
> guard is to execute a piece of code. And to achieve that goal the
> language could offer a more appropriate syntax. Compare the amount of
> code you have to write to employ unique_ptr with something like this:
>
> scope_exit [&]
> {
> do_stuff();
> };
>
> where scope_exit would be a keyword. I'm not proposing this particular
> syntax, it's just an illustration.

In the interest of clarity, the shortest generic scope guard using
std::unique_ptr that I've come up with so far is:

template<class X>
using scope_guard = std::unique_ptr<void, X>;

void f()
{
  scope_guard guard(0, [](void*) { std::cout << "hi"; });

}

(class template argument deduction does the rest).

Jens